Ultimate Guide: 5-Minute Makeup for Moms with Children with Special Needs
08 Jul 2018
As the mom of a child with special needs, I read all of the affirmations about self care - Take care of yourself! Self Care Matters! You can't serve from an empty cup! I get it. But most of the time I am so exhausted from work, my kids (the one with special needs and the NT child, they are equally exhausting) and the house, that it's all I can do to shower, wear a clean outfit, wash my hair...am I the only one who sometimes sleeps in her clothes? In the morning, makeup is the last thing I have time for. Yet when I take the time to apply makeup, I feel so much better. I feel more powerful and confident. That's not me in the photo btw. That's a professional "mom" model. Cracks me up.
After 12 years with MAC Cosmetics and meeting dozens of talented makeup artists, I did learn a few tips to help busy, stressed out moms look and feel better in just 5 minutes. Some of them involve applying your makeup in the car. Red lights and parking lots only, of course.
1. Use a regular face moisturizer right out of the shower. If you do this within two minutes, your face will look fresher all day. I love Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Water Gel Face Moisturizer. Some of the pricier options might make you feel super luxe but this Neutrogena light gel moisturizer works just as well. It moisturizes all day, plumps up your skin and I swear, after long term use, some of my fine lines have faded. It is a great moisturizer for everyday plus you can get it at Target for about $15. Luv.
2. Plump up your skin with MAC Strobe Cream. This is a life changing cream that completely changes the look of your skin in an instant. After rocking those five or six hours of sleep, MAC Strobe Cream is going to put the glow back in your skin. Apply by rubbing briskly onto your cheeks and face. You will glow all day. If you have no time for anything else, you will look better just wearing this cream, I swear.
3. Fill in your brows and use brow gel. Anastasia Brow Wiz Pencil in Taupe is the perfect color for almost everyone, but they have plenty of shades to choose from. It mimics your natural hair, lasts all day and makes your face look "finished."
4. Tame your brows with this clear gel. I use MAC Clear Brow Gel. There are plenty of brow gels on the market. NYX makes a cheaper version, Anastasia makes a more expensive one but this one works great. QUICK TIP: I keep mine in the car and apply it at red lights without looking.
5. Apply concealer only where you need it. I use MAC Studio Conceal and Correct Palette. It's pricey at $35 but I have had mine for almost a year. Other good ones are Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage. Anything that goes on my skin I spend more $ on because it is so hard to match shades from drugstore brands. You might have better luck than I did.
6. Line the top of your eyes with a smudgeable eye pencil. I like MAC Eye Kohl Eyeliner in Teddy. Just throw it on and smudge a bit with your finger. Next apply a longwear black eyeliner in the waterline on the bottom. I like Maybelline Expert Wear Twin Brow and Eye but any brown or black eyeliner will do. I tend to use a longwear for the bottom so it lasts all day and smudgeable on top so if you mess up you can just smudge it.
7. Load up on mascara. This is where I cheap out and use Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. After seeing celebrity makeup artists haul around a 50 lb kit of high end cosmetics only to finish my face with 3 coats of Maybelline Great Lash, I gave in. It's great if you are in a rush too.
8. Swirl a peach blush on your cheekbones with a blush brush. MAC Powder Blush in Melba looks good on just about everyone.
9. Use a tinted lip balm. I like Neutrogena Revitalizing Lip Balm. You can apply it with one hand, buy it in multiples (one in your house, one in your purse, one in your car) and it will give your lips a little stain-ey glow that lasts even when it comes off. QUICK TIP: Apply in the car at red lights without looking, even if you miss your mouth a bit, you can swipe it off quickly when you park the car.
One more great lip product is NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream but it’s a little high maintenance to put on the morning. If you have time go for it because a liquid lip lasts all day.
That's it! The 5 minute routine to look like the "mom" in the photo. Did I mention she's a professional model?
Drop me a line! I'd love to hear some of your timesavers.
Email me at email@example.com and let me know your favorite 5-minute tips and tricks for busy moms!